A laptop, notebook computer or similar portable computer (eg. tablet device) can be included in your salary package and is exempt from Fringe Benefits Tax if used primarily for work purposes. Pre-loaded work related software forming part of the computer may also be included in your package. The FBT exemption does not apply to external modems, printers or similar computer accessories.
How does it work?
There are two main ways to salary sacrifice a laptop (or similar device) through Simplygreen Salary Packaging:
The outright purchase option means you go out and purchase the device that you wish to package:
- Once you have acquired the device, contact Simplygreen and we will email the relevant application forms required to establish your salary sacrifice arrangement.
- Once the salary sacrifice arrangement has been established with your payroll, Simplygreen will reimburse your initial out of pocket expense
- Finally, your Employer will deduct the pre-tax expense from your salary
The second option is to finance the device on a fixed term rental.
- Contact Simplygreen on 1300 664 323 if you require laptop finance and we’ll email the relevant application forms required to get you started.
- Once the salary sacrifice arrangement has been established with your payroll, Simplygreen will make the fixed term repayments to the finance company.
- Your Employer will deduct the rental amount from your pre-tax salary for the fixed term.
How much can you save?
Salary packaging a laptop or similar electronic device through Simplygreen Salary Packaging is simple to do and can save you hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars each year!
The table below demonstrates how much you could be saving by salary packaging a laptop or similar electronic device:
|Salary Range||Discount %|
|$0 – $18,200||No Discount|
|$18,201 – $37,000||25% Discount|
|$37,001 – $80,000||38% Discount|
|$80,001 – $180,000||42% Discount|
|$180,000 +||49% Discount|
John Smith has decided to salary package a new laptop that will be primarily used for work purposes. John’s salary is $95,000 per annum + super and the retail cost of the laptop is $2,000 (including GST).
Salary packaging will save John $840, reducing the actual cost of the laptop from $2,000 to $1,160.
Contact us on 1300 664 323 to find out how you can salary package a laptop, iPad or similar electronic device.